In addition to the provision of Kos Minars or distance-marks and Serais or shelters, the Mughals improved the water-supply along the line of these arterial roads. The ideal arrangement, rarely achieved, was to have a roadside well every three miles, and in some cases the structure was an elaborate Baoli with flights of steps and occasionally cools underground shelters in which the traveller could refresh himself. The Baoli near Losar, on the Grand Trunk Road about 5 miles north-West of Taxila, is a good example of the series. It is of brick, about 100 feet deep, and is approached by a staircase with landings at intervals under four-centred arches carrying battlemented cresting. It is entered through an arched and domed gateway flanked by small chambers, with staircases to the roof; and behind the entrance at ground-level, on each side, is an oblong brick platform upon which travellers could rest. On one side also is a trough for Watering animals. The structure is probably of early seventeenth century date.
As another example may be cited a Baoli within the ruins of the fort built by Akbar at Gujrat (West Punjab) in A.D. 1580. It has a simple brick staircase descending to a large Well under four-centred arches, with platforms or landings at intervals, and is doubtless contemporary with the fort.